History of Tissue Transplantation

  • 1900s - Successful transplantation of bone, soft tissue and corneas began.
  • 1949 - The establishment of the U.S. Navy Tissue Bank gave the nation its first bone and tissue processing and storage facility.
  • 1970s -The rapid development of transplant medicine, combined with factors including general population growth and expansion of the elderly population caused an increased demand for donated tissues and organs.
  • 1986 - There were more than 300 bone banks in operation.
  • 1993 - The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) initiated regulation of all U.S. Tissue Banks.
  • 1997-2005 - Additional regulations were announced including the required registration with the FDA of all tissue banking establishments and tissue donor suitability criteria.
    • The FDA enforced the comprehensive Good Tissue Practices. This regulation which binds all agencies that recover, process, store, label, package, distribute, screen or test human tissue resulted in greater safety assurances industry wide.
    • Today - It is estimated that over one million allograft tissue transplants are performed annually.

Allografts are utilized in almost all surgical disciplines including:

  • orthopedics
  • neurosurgery
  • gynecology
  • cardiac surgery
  • burn care and many others.

Over time, physicians have realized the benefits of using allograft tissues over the alternatives such as autografts and synthetics.


© Copyright 2009 LifeLink Tissue Bank. All Rights Reserved.
9661 Delaney Creek Blvd. | Tampa, FL 33619 | (800) 683-2400